Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'm off!

And besides that, I'm going places...

Tomorrow morning (Thursday, 9 June) I head off to the wilds of New Mexico. Okay, maybe not so wild: the Santa Fe National Forest, which conveniently directly abuts the city of Santa Fe, New Mexico (it's that green part on the right).

I initially planned to start at Storrie Lake, but because of the the rather nasty drought going on in New Mexico, and some political and economic short-sightedness, Las Vegas (NM) and Storrie Lake are running rather low on water (which isn't a good thing for lakes to do, if you didn't already know). Between that and the Arizona wildfires threatening to invade New Mexico, I'm going to hang out in the SFNF. Doing so will put me a little farther away from "civilization" (it's a big-ass forest, and I'm going in several miles) for a more realistic shakedown of gear and preparation, but still leave me close enough to deal with any issues that crop up. I'm also going to stay there for a bit longer than I would have at Storrie, too - most likely a couple of weeks.

I'll still come down out of the mountains a few times to resupply, which will give me the chance to post here: not just written descriptions of what I'm doing, but whatever photos I take along the way.

Later, peoples.

1 comment:

  1. If it doesn't have room service, it's the wilds. Walk softly, big stick, the usual precautions and wishes for a good time.

    ReplyDelete