Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Itinerary - I has one

After going over the maps, looking at what facilities are where, and all that, I've got my itinerary pretty well figured out.

As mentioned previously, I'm looking at starting around Santa Fe, New Mexico. From there, the sequence will most likely be:
  1. Storrie Lake State Park, NM
  2. Trinidad Lake SP, CO
  3. Lake Pueblo SP, CO
  4. Barr Lake SP, CO
  5. Sylvan Lake SP, CO
  6. James M Robb SP, CO
  7. Starvation SP, UT
  8. Deer Creek SP, UT
  9. Anderson Cove, UT
  10. Masscre Rocks SP, ID
  11. Curlew Campground, ID
  12. Hyrum SP, UT
  13. Antelope Island SP, UT and/or East Canyon SP, UT
  14. Yuba SP, UT
  15. Fremont Indian SP, UT
  16. Green River SP, UT
  17. Buckboard Campground, UT
  18. Graham Creek Campground, CO
  19. San Luis SP, CO
  20. Lathrop SP, CO
  21. Storrie Lake, NM (again)
From the look of it, I'll have plenty of opportunities for such things as re-supplying, doing laundry, eating food that I didn't have to reconstitute, hit an ATM, and the other assorted things necessary for a journey like this. Also, with my flexibility as regards time and timing, the route could take me anywhere from 3 to 4 months -- or even a little longer; and that's figuring a few days at each stop and a day or two between stops in travel time. All things considered, I'd just as soon not be in Idaho when they get the first blizzard of the year...

I've got my digital camera, and will be taking lots of pictures; I'm waffling on whether or not to go ahead and get a handheld GPS unit so I can "geotag" the photos so any interested parties can find exactly where they were taken via Google Maps. If there's any interest, I may even tell the GPS unit to log my position every so often, and publish the data so folks can see where I was when I got lost and how I found my way back again. I can do either or both using some nifty free software for my laptop, which runs OpenSuSE Linux. I'd been assured that handheld GPS units are not only a lot more reliable and sensitive now, they're also cheaper; checking into it, I found some that aren't outrageously expensive, do what I'd want without a bunch of crap I don't need/want, and aren't too freakin' heavy. In particular, I'm kinda eyeballing the Garmin eTrex Vista H. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment