Sunday, April 3, 2011

Gearing up to go

I've started planning out my summer adventures -- something that isn't as easy as I wish it was.

I'm starting with a simplified roadmap of each of the states that I plan to go through, then having to (manually) add in notations about what types of campgrounds are scattered around in those states. I prefer to stay at BLM facilities or state parks, since they don't draw the kinds of crowds that end up in the commercial (*cough*KOA*cough*) parks. Plus, they're cheaper (I did say I'm on a budget, yes?).

The process is made marginally easier by the recreation.gov website; there, I can just scroll around on the map and locate facilities that are reasonably close (10-20 miles, or so) to highways. Those spots get marked on the maps in one color, then I got to the individual state park maps and add them in a different color (just so I can keep everything straight). Once I'm done with that, I position the individual maps appropriately and I can start looking at what (rough) routes I can take -- trying to maximize my outdoor time, versus travel time, versus cost, versus having to retrace steps (sometimes almost literally). So far, I've come up with the general plan shown here:





I'm looking at starting a bit north of Santa Fe, New Mexico, heading north through Eastern Colorado, across Northern Colorado and Northern Utah, with an option to do a loop through Idaho, back down through Utah, across Northern Arizona (mountain country, not suck-ass heat and desert like Phoenix) until I can move north far enough to come across Southern Colorado, and then back down.  Maybe it looks kind of goofy, but if you look at the highway system, it makes perfect sense.

It's still Wind season around these parts, and since I'd just as soon not have to chase my tent across the continental U.S. if I don't have to, I'll be staying put until the beginning of May when the winds start dying down. When I firm up my itinerary, I'll  post it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment